As I tell my students, there are many forms of “profit.” Mostly people use the term to relate only to money.
1972 Certificate, School of Hotel Management, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
1968 BA Cultural Anthropology, San Francisco State University, California, USA
1963 Baccalaureate degree, Taipei American School, Republic of China
- 2005 – present. Lecturer, School of Business Management, Institut Technologi Bandung (ITB): Principles of Marketing; Services Marketing; Consumer Behavior; Sales Management
- 2017. Lecturer, President University, Cikarang, Jakarta, School of Business Management, Hotel Operations Management
- 2011. Lecturer, School of Planning Pascasarjana (graduate program), ITB: Tourism Destination Marketing
- 1986 – present. Co-founder, Executive Director (1986-2013), board member (2013-present), Bandung Society for Heritage Conservation. Responsible for the routine operations of the society that has some 600 members and is a registered NGO in Bandung. Our aim is “conservation of the identity of Bandung, its built and natural environments and historic fabric.”
- 1996 – present. Chairman (1996-2014), VP, board member (2014-present) ICOMOS Indonesia. ICOMOS is an Advisory Group for UNESCO in the field of immovable tangible and intangible heritage. Responsible for maintenance of communications with members and other professional heritage committees in Indonesia and the international secretariat in Paris.
- Oct 2017. Heritage consultant ICOMOS (International Council for Monuments and Sites)
- Jul 2016. JOTRC (Jakarta Old Town Revitalization Corporation), preparation of state’s party dossier UNESCO World Heritage Site inscription for Old Town (Batavia) Indonesia
- July – Sept 2016. Heritage consultant ICOMOS (International Council for Monuments and Sites), Kementrian Pendidikan & Budaya, preparation of state’s party dossier UNESCO World Heritage Site Inscription for Sawahlunto, Sumatera
- Mar 2014 – 2015. President Director, PT Panghegar Hospitality Management, Bandung. Developing feasibility studies and operations strategies for hotel operators. The company was frozen by the owning company in July 2015.
- July – Dec 2014. Heritage Specialist, Anthropologist, PT LAPI ITB, Penyusunan Rencana Detil Kawasan Strategis Pariwisata Nasional (KSPN) (Detailed National Tourism Strategic District Plan) for Tanah Toraja, Sulawesi Selatan, Indonesia
- 1997 – 2009. Member: International Scientific Committee for Cultural Tourism: International Council on Monuments and Sites, (ICOMOS) Paris
- 2002 – 2011. Advisor, Board of Directors, Bina Pakuan Football School, PERSIB, Bandung
- 2007 – 2011. Board of Directors, BPPI, National Heritage Trust of Indonesia, Jakarta
- 2002 – 2004. Advisor, Centre for Tourism Research, Institute of Technology Bandung, West Java. Assisted the research team in special projects concerning national heritage tourism.
- 2000 – 2002. General Manager, Dwarika’s Hotel, Kathmandu, Nepal: 5 Stars. PATA Heritage Award for Architectural Heritage. Responsible for the operations of a 75 room luxury hotel. Supervised a staff of 200. Oversaw on-going conservation projects of the property, and worked with national, local heritage interests in the Kathmandu Valley.
- 1982 – 2000. PT Panghegar Hotels, Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
- Dir Operations, Savoy Homann Heritage Hotel, Bandung
- Dir Operations, PT Panghegar Hotels for 5 hotels in Indonesia: Bandung, Puncak, Magelang, Pekanbaru, Makassar
- Dir Marketing, PT Panghegar Hotels for 5 properties: Bandung, Puncak, Magelang, Pekanbaru, Makassar
- 1976 – 1982. ITT-Sheraton Hotels, New York City, New York
- Manager, Sheraton Towers, New York City
- Opening Manager, Sheraton Towers, Montreal, Canada
- Special Sales: Sheraton Park Avenue, New York City & Sheraton Carlton, Washington, DC
- 1970-1976. The Parker House and Sheraton Boston Hotel in Boston, Mass., USA
- Sales Manager
- Director of Catering Sales
Awards and Recognitions
Anugerah Budaya Kota Bandung 2012 (Mayor’s Award for Culture)
Featured: Inspiring Woman, METRO –TV, Indonesia, April 2007
Bank of Indonesia Heritage Award for Bandung Heritage Society, 2005
Pacific Asia Travel Association PATA Chapter Heritage Award 1995
KLM “Bridging the World” Award 1995
Indonesian Institute of Architects National Heritage Award 1994
White Ribbon, Indonesian Orchid Society Flower Show 1984
Blue Ribbon, New York Flower Show 1981, Gramercy Park, NYC
ITT Sheraton Quality Award 1979
Restaurant Assn of America, Silver and Bronze Medals, Menu Design, 1978